From the day the mother conceives to the day she delivers a baby is an amazing journey with many many memories and moments to cherish. The first ultrasound, the first time the baby kicks, the first time we hear the baby’s heart beat and many more. What is most essential part of all these experiences is have a healthy and trauma free pregnancy. The most important factor to consider is mother and baby’s health. There are quite some myths around what to have and what not to even consider when it comes to pregnancy diet. For eg. Jackfruit during pregnancy. There are various questions around it.
This article today tries to throw some light upon consumption of jackfruit during pregnancy. We shall be answering these questions:
- What are the different ways one can have jackfruit in pregnancy?
- What are effects and side effects of having jackfruit during pregnancy?
- What fruits to be had and to be avoided during pregnancy?
- What is so healthy and important about jackfruit?
Now let’s begin with the last question from the above list:
What is so healthy & important about Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a very well known fruit with packed nutrients and fibre in it. It is a rich source of iron, vitamin B3, vitamin B12. During pregnancy there is a surge of hormones in the body which may lead to various changes in the body, one among them being anemia. Anemia results in body’s reduction of iron. Jackfruit is a very good source of the same and helps production of RBCs thus prevents the body from having iron deficiency.
Is consumption of jackfruit during pregnancy safe? Can jackfruit cause miscarriage?
It is one of the popular notion that jackfruit being a fruit that increases the heat in the body might lead to miscarriage as it increases the bowel movements, which can indirectly trigger premature contractions and thus labor. But, many gynaecologist believe that all the fruits and vegetables can be consumed during pregnancy but in moderation. Thus, if one is a fan of jack fruit and has no allergies to it one can very well go ahead and relish it’s taste but also one must keep in mind the quantity of consumption must be moderate.
Who should avoid jackfruit consumption in pregnancy?
- Woman who have had a history of cardio vascular diseases or are presently undergoing treatment for the same they must avoid this fruit owing to its high calorie rate.
- Pregnant ladies who have a very weak tummy must be very careful while consuming this fruit as it may lead to tummy upset due to it rich fibre value.
- If you are a first time eater be very careful as some people might develop allergies to this fruit. If you very well know about the fruit and have had no allergic reactions before very well go ahead.
- Yet again the ingredients in this fruit lead to faster coagulation of blood so woman who have history of cardiac problems avoid jackfruit in pregnancy.
Now, we are about to discuss on some Jackfruit recipes but if you are someone who doesn’t want to cook, I am listing some food items made from jackfruit below that you can simply pick online or buy from the market.
Jackfruit food items that you can buy:
What are new recipes to consume jackfruit during pregnancy?
Fan of meat but having aversion for meat and you would kill have a burger, so here is a great alternative for you. Cooked jackfruit tastes some what like meat. So for meat lovers, here’s what you can have:
Sloppy Joe Jackfruit burger recipe –
Preparing the Jackfruit mixture:
- Heat oil in a pan and add in some chopped garlic, to which you have to add tomato puree, pinch of turmeric and chilly powder.
- Cook the tomatoes and then add in cashew paste to the mixture.
- Now to this cooked mixture add jackfruit which are already fried, let the tomato mixture to thicken in the pan.
- Now we have to cook till the jackfruit is soft in the tomato mixture.
Getting the burger ready :
- Brush the bread slice or burger bun with butter.
- Now place the jackfruit mixture on bread or bun slide and cut into two inch strips. You can also garnish with pickled onion on top and add some oregano seasoning along with tomato ketchup or mustard sauce according to your taste or will.
Instant Jackfruit curry recipe –
What’s best is to consume jackfruit in pregnancy in moderation, just cook the jackfruit into a delicious and yummy curry and do not panic about amount of jackfruit to be consumed.
Let’s begin with the recipe:
- To begin with heat oil in a pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add cumin, mustard and nigella seeds and let them start to sizzle or pop which might take a 1 minute or so. Now add bay leaves, red chilies and cook for a few seconds. Add in the onion, garlic and ginger. Also don’t forget to add a pinch of salt. Cook until the mixture becomes thick for about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In this mixture add coriander, turmeric, black pepper and mix well. Add pureed tomato, salt and Jackfruit. Mix. Now just cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Finally, uncover and cook for a few minutes to thicken the tomato puree. Also, you can shred the Jackfruit a bit if you like.
- Add water, cover and cook for 15 minutes. For finale taste and adjust salt and spice. At the end reduce heat to medium low and cover and cook for another 10 minutes or longer until desired consistency. Garnish and serve the yummy and hot curry.
Now, let’s deal with the bigger question below:
Which fruits should a pregnant lady avoid?
- Raw Papaya: Papaya has the ability to start contractions. While it is considered as a good option towards the end of pregnancy it might not be a very good idea to have it during the early days of pregnancy.
- Pineapple – Pineapple is debated fruit during pregnancy. Some researchers suggest owing to its high bromelain which is an enzyme that causes softening of cervix and might cause miscarriage or induce early labor. Others believe this to be myth. So if you decide to have it please so keep it in moderation.
- Grapes and Peaches – The skin of grapes can be toxic for the baby also peaches being a heat generating food can be harmful to the mother.
Take home message from a Dr. Mom:
Anything and everything had in moderation is not harmful. Plus the pregnant lady must keep herself active and on the go unless told other wise. Jackfruit during pregnancy is a good option if you love the tropical fruit. Jackfruit in pregnancy also will help with your iron needs. So choose well and be well.
Happy pregnancy ladies!!