Many women wonder their appetite and cravings have gone over the moon and nothing seems to satisfy it. Is it normal? Yes ladies it’s absolutely normal. Growing a baby in your uterus in nine months is a miracle which needs loads of calories which is of course fulfilled by food. There are a lot many confusions around this topic as to Why do you still feel hungry after eating during pregnancy?. I am going to answer all possible questions that you might be having. So let me first tell you the questions that’ll be answered in this article.
Table Of Content
- Why do you still feel hungry after eating during pregnancy?
- When does this increased appetite usually happen?
- When does this pregnancy hunger phase wear off ?
- How many calories does a pregnant lady really require?
- How to handle this pregnancy hunger?
- What food items should be included in pregnancy diet?
Now let’s take a dip into all these questions and get you answers in detail one by one.
Why do you still feel hungry after eating during pregnancy?
You must have heard your elders in the family point out the fact that you are now eating for two people so eat up and drink up as much as you can. This actually a very true fact indeed. The body is now on active mode twenty four by seven in creating a new life inside you and this work takes a toll off your body. The uterus grows double the size just to accommodate the baby. All these work require high levels of metabolism activities which can only be fulfilled by energy cell that are gained from the food we consume. From carbohydrates to proteins to fats the body needs it all. So even when you have eaten to your heart’s content owing to the speedy metabolic rate the food gets digested in a matter of few minutes that you feel hungry all over again.
When does this increased appetite usually happen?
During the first few months some women face high bouts of morning sickness that rather the smell of certain stuffs can make them puke or nauseatic. But it happens to only a few off them. So increased appetite can start as early as the first semester itself. Some people even consider this as a symptom of pregnancy which is actually not a proven text but might also be true. Why not, the body is creating a baby from the size of a grain to the size of a football.
When does this pregnancy hunger phase wear off ?
The, still hungry after easting during pregnancy, phase can last upto two trimester. By the time you reach the third trimester you might start having heart burns and increased levels of acidity. This can lead to aversion towards food. You might feel hungry but won’t be able to consume as much like you did the first few months of your pregnancy. One thing you might want to remember is that even after you have delivered the hungry phase will don’t quite end. Now that you have to produce milk and feed the new born every two hours you have to pile up on the energy scale thus have to keep your diet and appetite at its peak.
How many calories does a pregnant lady really require?
There’s not a set amount of calorie count requirements for a pregnant lady. It all depends upon the number of fetus she is carry, her digestion rate and most of all the energy production. So it’s not advisable to restrict the calorie count of a pregnant lady rather let her follow her instincts and her cravings to fulfil her body’s need and the baby’s needs. It is very important that the pregnant woman eats what she feels like eating.
How to handle this pregnancy hunger?
It might be quite embarrassing for a few to have to dig into the fridge for more food just ten minutes after having the whole meal or having to run to the pantry to grab a quick snack just after dinner. But ladies just remember a fact that it’s just all part of the baby development phase. Whatever weight you are gaining would help you develop a healthy and happy baby. But along with this one might even have to remember the food that they eat is going to stick and be around your body for quite a long time, so might want act smart around this hungry phase.
Here are some specially curated pregnancy food items available in the market these days. You can pick these to satisfy your hunger:
What food items should be included in pregnancy diet?
Here are some of the items that should be included in your pregnancy diet to help yourself get through this phase of hunger during pregnancy?
- Increase protein intake – It’s always seen that consumption of food rich in protein can make you feel full for a longer time and also manage your hunger phase. Food like soy milk, tofu, sprouted pulses, green grams etc are all rich in protein value. They are all very good for your health too. So you might eat to your heart’s content without fearing of putting on extra weight while fulfilling your body’s extra calories requirements.
- Include lots of fluid – Fluids generally make us feel full. You might have some fruit juices, energy drinks or just vegetable soups. This will help you feel full as well as give you a satisfaction of having eaten too.
- Exercise – this helps you distract your body from all the food cravings while helping you burn some extra fats that have been stored in this whole process. Exercises release endorphins that make you feel relaxed and less hungry while giving you energy. Just a long brisk walk might also do the trick for you.
- Eat roasted or air fried food that oil fired once – Your body might crave for some chips but you might grab a baked one or a roasted one. You will satisfy your craving while eating a healthy snack too. Every healthy snack item which is baked or roasted rather than fried will help you save on some calories that might take you on guilt trip every time you eat.
So folks I hope this clears the air around the ‘ still hungry after eating during pregnancy’ phase. It’s not a myth it’s a reality and happens to all of us. Instead of worrying about it you might want to enjoy the phase and feel happy about your body for doing such and incredible job of creating a baby. Fall in love with your body, take care of it and nurture it because it’s about to give you the most precious treasure of your life. Love the fact that in about nine months you would have an amazing miracle in your hands and you would have completely forgotten about all the cravings and hungry phases.
As far as weight is concerned, it’s your body, if you can make it expand, you can contract it too. After your breastfeeding period is over, you can always begin working on your diet and get back to your old shape. No biggie there.
Please note: If you’ll use links mentioned in our articles, we’ll make some commission out of it.