Pregnancy is not just about the baby’s growth and development. It’s the mother’s good health along with a proper channelized and planned diet, exercises and rest. All these criteria on the check list will ultimately help the overall physical and mental growth of the baby. As soon as you detect your pregnancy your Gynaecologist puts you on some supplements which you are supposed to consume throughout your pregnancy and even after your delivery. Have you wondered why is it so? It’s because woman’s body tends to consume double the dose of all the nutrients and they have a possibility of even becoming anaemic. Thus to avoid all these scenario the doctor prescribes supplements. But what’s the better way to stay healthy than having natural form of these nutrients which are essential during pregnancy? Ever heard of apricots? This single fruit in any of its form can provide the woman will all kinds of nutrients. Thus apricot is one of the must have fruit during pregnancy. We shall study the effects of apricot during pregnancy, Ways in which the apricot can be had during pregnancy, and some yummy recipes using apricots.
Let us help you get answers about the consumption of this fruit during pregnancy and how it can bring health benefits to you and your child.
What are the nutrient benefits of apricot during pregnancy?
Apricots which is a proud member of the rosacea family of which cherries, berries and peaches are members too. These fruits are highly nutritious. They contain iron, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, vitamin A, C and E. All these nutrients are beneficial for the mother and the baby in some or the other form. We would discuss that further in the article. Also another added benefit of the fruit is that it’s a drupe fruit which means it can be had in the form of fruit as well as in its dried form too.
Why eating apricot during pregnancy is good?
It’s a very delicious fruit even its raw form or in the form of dried fruit. It can be added to the diet of a pregnant lady without any hesitations as it has zero to no side effects. Plus the dried form of the fruit is easily available and is very much affordable. Many women are unable to eat fruits and vegetables directly especially during pregnancy. So for them, the dried form works best. There are ample of recipes on using apricot in dishes, you can try them too if you want. Some of them we shall be discussing at the end of this article too, so stay tuned.
What are the health benefits of apricot during pregnancy?
1. Apricots are good for your eye health
Apricots are known to have beta carotene in them which are very much helpful in maintaining the health of your eye. Apricot during pregnancy is very much essential to maintain a good eye health as it might affect your eyesight post delivery.
2. It helps to keep the gestational diabetes under check
Dried apricot during pregnancy help to keep the blood sugar levels under check. So by consuming it, the risk of getting gestational diabetes becomes less.
3. Good for the health of your skin
Pigmentations and dark spots are one of the things that worries a pregnant lady. Consumption of apricot can help you maintain the health of the skin and bring back the lost glow.
4. It is very important for the growth of the baby
The apricots are loaded with folic acids which are essential for the development of the nervous system of the baby. Eating apricot during pregnancy helps you avoid pre mature development delays. It also also takes care of occurrence of spina bifida. Thus for the overall development of the fetus, apricots are an essential fruit.
5. Even post pregnancy the apricots are of great help
They are a known fruit that increases the production and boosts the release of milk. It helps the breastfeeding and the supply of the milk.
6. It is also an important fruit to maintain stomach health
Apricot being the rosacea variety of fruit it is loaded with fibers. Thus making it an essential fruit for the movement of the bowels and relaxation from constipation. Regular consumption of fruit leads to a happy tummy.
Are there any side effects to having apricot during pregnancy?
- As we know by now that the fruit can be had in both raw and dried form, the raw fruit tends to have pesticides and chemicals on the surface so its really very important to wash the fruit very thoroughly before one eats it.
- Also the raw form of the fruit has a chemical at its tip which can be poisonous. So we have to be very careful to remove the tip of the fruit and then eat it.
- The fruit also must be had in a moderation as having many apricots can be up setting the stomach.
- Always consult your doctor before you include anything new in the diet as they very well know your body type and the needs of your body. Do remember that the dried fruit of apricot must be had in the morning or in the mid morning times because of the fibers it takes longer for it to digest.
What are the recipes to have apricot during pregnancy?
Recipe 1: Hyderabadi kubbani ka mitha or Indian pudding
Ingredients you would require: Cinnamon, cardamoms, almonds, and half a cup of heavy cream with sugar too.
- Step 1: Soak a handful of dried apricots overnight. Make sure seeds of the apricot have been removed.
- Step 2: In a pot of hot boiling water drop the apricots to get soaked and cooked. Add to it a stick or cinnamon or cardamom pods. These are the various flavours that one could infuse. You can also add a few drops of orange or lemon drops to it.
- Step 3: Add sugar to it and start stirring. The sugar starts to get caramelised. Keep stirring till the mixture turns mushy in consistency. You can now switch of the flame and add the whole cream to the mixture.
- The pudding is ready. You can serve it with a sprinkle of saffron and almond layer on the top. It can also be had cold or hot as one loves the flavour.
Recipe 2: Smoothies
Smoothies are another brilliant option to intake apricot during pregnancy Just drop in a handful of raw apricots with chilled milk and gibe it a swirl in the juicer. There it is you have your yummy apricot smoothie. One can also add almonds to the smoothie to give added flavours to it.
So folks, I hope we can conclude that apricot is also a very good diet fruit to be had during pregnancy. Apricot during pregnancy are all boons to the lady and the baby. For every mom to be, it’s important to intake the right diet so you can provide the maximum nutrition to yourself and your growing baby. Sometimes taking fruits or vegetables directly is not possible by some moms. In such cases, you can try the recipes provided above and let us know how they worked out for you. We keep sharing interesting recipes which bring taste and nutrition to you. Do let us know if you like them. Please drop in any queries or doubts in the comment section.