Pregnancy gives us weird kind of cravings. With all the hormone surges at one point of time we feel was it actually me when I was pregnant because I didn’t ever think I would love the flavour of this thing in my life. But I did try it and loved it during pregnancy. Speaking of flavours, they are required to keep the morning sickness at bay. These are the only things that can provide a woman with some relief during those tough times. Specially, lemon or citrus fruits tend to do the trick. They keep the vomiting and nausea away. Also one such recommended thing on the list is Gulkand. Gulkand during pregnancy is also an important ingredient to keep you safe from hormonal imbalance.
Now let’s discuss these things at length:
- What is Gulkand?
- Is it beneficial during pregnancy?
- Is Gulkand during pregnancy safe to be consumed?
What is Gulkand?
Gulkand is a sweet delicacy prepared from rose petals, it is also an ayurvedic medicine and Indian traditional recipe. Also used for many diseases and disorders namely of skin problems, constipation in pregnancy, acidity, gastritis, ulcer, Indigestion, dysmenorrhea, acne, foul body odor, palpitation, hypertension, nosebleed, stress, etc. A glass of Gulkand mixed in cold milk would be the excellent choice of a cold relish during the summers. Rose has in itself the power to reduce the inner core body temperature. It gives a soothing calming effect to our body.
What are the health benefits of consuming Gulkand?
What are the therapeutic uses of Gulkand?
Health benefits of gulkand are in plenty they include its uses in various diseases. These diseases are mainly the ones that occur due to excess heat in the body or hot temperature outside. These diseases have been explained very well in ayurveda, these diseases that occur due to excess heat are known as PITTA in ayurveda. Gulkand is a best treatment for these diseases.
Gulkand is considered to be the best for mild to moderate constipation.
Constipation in Kids
Gulkand is natural reliever for kid’s constipation. Owing to its sweet and mild taste which makes it delicious and is also favorite among children. But you may need giving Gulkand for a few days to get a cure of constipation. Also along with Gulkand, include fiber rich foods such as fruits and vegetables in your kid’s diet.
If one consumes Gulkand on a regular basis it prevents sunburn. It also minimizes the effects of the sun called sun poisoning that commonly occurs in summer season. It is also known to reduce the effect of excess heat on the body.
Nosebleed is a very common symptom if you have pitta dosh that is increased core body temperature according to Ayurveda. It is very much common in summer and is a common problem in kids. Gulkand is a good measure that helps get rid of nosebleed. Giving 1 teaspoon of gulkand to your kid to prevent and treat nosebleed.
Heartburn & Gastritis
Gulkand helps with a lot of problems related to our stomach one of which is acidity. This is a very common problem that people all over the world face. Owing to the stress at work and the pressure at home acidity is faced by everyone at least one point of their life. Consumption of anti acids is at an alarming rise. But we have a cure for this in our ayurveda in the form of gulkand. Consumption of gulkand before bed during night can considerably reduce the problem of acidity in any individual.
Benefits of Gulkand during pregnancy
Here are key benefits of Gulkand during pregnancy:
- Women can consume gulkand during pregnancy as in Ayurveda it is considered to be safe and harmless in pregnancy. In India, it is used as a treatment for constipation that occurs in pregnancy. Gulkand is known to reduce the body core temperature which might be the cause of constipation. The sugar and the rose mixture helps necessary bowel movement and the flow of liquids through the intestine which ultimately helps with the cure of constipation
- Also women with the problem of morning sickness can consume a spoonful of Gulkand in the morning to get rid of the nausea and vomiting. The sugar syrup in the mixture helps fight the feeling of nausea.
- The overall body temperature could be normal but the pregnant woman might have an increased core temperature owing to all the hormones that raid her body and Gulkand is an excellent solution for it.
- Gulkand acts as a natural blood purifier as it has antibacterial properties that can remove toxins from the body. Thus overall it also helps to built the immunity which is of utmost importance during pregnancy.
- These are the benefits of gulkand during pregnancy. It is safe to say that Gulkand both taste wise and health wise is a good choice during pregnancy.
Recipe for making Gulkand at home
Ingredients for Gulkand:
To make Gulkand at home, you just need these 3 ingredients:
- Rose petals
(Honey is optional if you want it then only you need to add it )
Method of making Gulkand at home
There are two methods of preparing Gulkand
Method 1: One is by not crushing the rose petals and just leaving the rose and the sugar mixture to soak in the sun in a glass jar for a few days time till the sugar gets melted and the mixture is prepared on its own.
Method 2: The other method requires you to crush the rose petals and add it to the mixture of sugar and honey. The syrup is prepared by boiling sugar in the huge pan and letting the sugar melt and give a sticky texture to the whole mixture. Add the honey to this mixture and ultimately mix the rose petals to it. Place it in the glass jar and it is also necessary to keep the jar in a cool and dry place.
And if you are someone who doesn’t have time and patience to make it at home, here are some best options to buy online. These products are given good rating by customers who’ve used it before so you are assured with it’s right quality.
Customer rating: 4.4 out of 5
So folks, this was a little tasty treats for you pregnant ladies out there or ladies with little cute bunnies at home. Try the recipe at home and give your loved ones a yummy treat. Also, share the benefits of gulkand during pregnancy with your dear ones and let them know that roses not only wins hearts but also cures heart burns!!! Jokes apart Gulkand truly has magical effects during pregnancy do give it a try.