Cravings are an awkward but interesting part of pregnancy. Sometime you might end up craving for something that you would have decided never to have again in your life. When it feels like you are pulled towards the food, everything around you seems to be chanting those words about the food in your. There seems to be no other way out. You just got it get it done and dusted.
I would like to share one of my experiences when I was expecting, one fine day I was just walking back home from work. Suddenly I smelt something, I guess it was the onion samosa getting fried in the kadai. Please note, I have never ever tasted those onion samosa in my life. I always felt they are way to oily and are not my cup of tea. But unbelievable I started getting pulled towards the smell. I tried hard to resist the temptations. I took another way back, no measure seemed to work. And allas I had to give up. I called my hubby and asked him to buy me a couple of onion samosa on the way home. He immediately burst into laughter as I always lectured him about how unhealthy they were. And for the next few months on the way home he got those samosa every day for me and I would happily quench my craving! I still sometimes see the shop on the way home but never felt that pull again. I do remember how good they tasted, one fine day I suppose I will definitely munch on a few of them.
Why do women have cravings during pregnancy?
Cravings have been researched upon by many scientists for years, few of the researchers suggests these cravings suggest to needs that the body has. For example if a woman has craving for mud or charcoal it might be due to calcium lack in the body. So the sausage craving or meat craving might be for increasing the protein in our body to help increase cell development.
Knowing your craving for sausage craving during pregnancy a bit better!
Sausage craving is one of the very common cravings during pregnancy. Owing to its spicy and delicious taste it becomes hard to resist. Sausage are basically of four types :
- Fresh sausages – Ground meat made into sausage which need to be fries or cooked
- Pre cooked – These sausages commonly know as hot dogs mage from pureed filling. Sometimes the fillings are partially cooked before being stuffed into the casing, but in all cases, the sausage is cooked after filling. But still we need to cook the sausage before consumption.
- Smoked sausage – As the name suggests these sausages are smoked. They are hung in a smoker or smokehouse where a cool fire is tended to burn slowly and to produce a copious amount of smoke that cooks, flavours, and preserves the sausages.
- Cured sausages – These sausages are cooked with salt and air.
How to deal with your sausage craving during pregnancy?
Sausage do not cause any harm unless they are cooked thoroughly and consumed in moderation. Whatever the type of sausage it might be it must be cooked completely, uncooked meat might lead to various complications. Also, talk to your doctor regarding your diet and what can be healthy for you.
Ways to deal with any kind of craving:
- As many research suggests some of the cravings can be co related to nutrient deficit in your body, so focus on the body wants through this craving. Generally it is for vitamins, calcium, vitamin b complex etc.
- Always talk to your doctor about cravings and the doubts you have about them
- If you craving meat craving like sausages talk to your doctor about the weight that you would gain, what is the limit of it, and how to include the meat into your diet. A perfect diet chart will help you consume the meat in moderation.
- Whatever the craving and diet may be exercises are also a must. For this too consult your doctor about the complication if any, whether to exercise is safe and what kind of exercise to be followed.
I hope you have a better idea about the sausage craving now. Always remember you are not alone in these feelings always feel free to talk to your partner and people who are your well wishers. Never feel embarrassed about them. Enjoy these unique and interesting cravings and be happy about this phase of your life.